You would be surprised at the amount of guys who suffer from dry scalp conditions. Dry scalp is typically called dandruff, but this symptom can be due to a variety of scalp conditions. It’s important to know a few things first about dandruff flakes, before treating the condition.
The flakes that you see on your shirt are dead skin cells that occur naturally. As you may have noticed, when you scratch your scalp, more flakes tend to fall. A dry scalp does not always mean you have dandruff. There are numerous skin conditions that cause men to suffer from a flaky scalp.
Here are a few reasons for dandruff flakes:
- Oily Hair – Men typically have oilier scalps than women. This is why men should try to wash their hair daily, unlike women who wash their hair every other day.
- Weather Conditions – The extremes seem to cause flakes for most men. Hot summer months can cause men to have oily scalps, and the winter months can cause men scalps to dry out.
- Stress – Emotions can be extremely powerful and have physically manifest in our body. Stress not only causes problems for those trying to lose weight, but it can also cause dandruff flakes.
- Diet – Diets that are rich in sugar, spice, or salt can cause dandruff flakes. Likewise, a lack of nutrients can affect your dry scalp. Make sure that you are getting enough fatty acids, and drink plenty of water.
- Hot Water – While it might not be the main culpret, hot water can further dry your scalp, making your dandruff flakes worse. Try using warm water, rather than piping hot, and rinse your shampoo and conditioner out with cool water. (James Bond made the cold shower cool.)
If you’re trying to battle your dandruff flakes, go ahead and ask your barber for his opinion. Many barbers have a trained eye for finding the root of your dry scalp. Using a shampoo for men that moisturizes the scalp is also a great step. If your conditions persist after switching to a new shampoo, you should consult a dermatologist.
For more information about dry scalps or men’s haircuts, contact us at Dave’s Barber in Woodstock, GA.
Photo via Flickr